Monday, April 5, 2010

A taste of Salt


Meat.
Cheese.
Condiments.
Wine.

What could be simpler?

Why hadn't I been sooner?

Strangely, despite my years of making an exclusive diet out of Oyama sausage, French cheese, and red wine, it was my first time to Salt Tasting Room last Wednesday evening.

Really.

I swear.

Despite Salt being a pioneer on the Vancouver culinary scene (the first, from my recollection, for making charcuterie the only item on the menu), I never once made it there. It was always on my list of things to do, but I always somehow ended up everywhere else.

So about 5 or 6 years late, here I am. Or shall I say, there I was. We arrived in Gastown on the corner of Abbott and Trounce Alley, and walked along the infamous "Blood Alley" (named after the former slaughterhouses of the 19th century) amidst the garbage bins and rats. For a Gastown alley, this one's well lit and well maintained.

Salt was easy to spot - a beacon of friendly warm light inviting us in from the darkness.

The secret to Salt is that you don't go for dinner - you go for lounging. You for snacking on a selection of tasty tidbits like corned beef, cornichons, Basque olives, brie, Similkameen honeycomb, manchego, sweet date & walnut bread, fennel salami, and spicy wild boar. Ideally you sit at a long table with your friends over delicious bottles of Pinot Noir. And don't go on a completely empty stomach  - or if you do, do so at your own risk! ;)




















No comments: