Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cherry blossoms

Japanese plum blossoms outside my parent's house

Right now - this very week, even - is my favourite time of the year.

I blame it on the cherry blossoms.

There's something, almost like a pheromone, that gets released into the air when the cherry blossoms are in bloom, and it speaks to me at some sort of primal level, and all I want to do is go outside and bask in the gorgeousness of spring flowers.


Perhaps it's also the Daylight Savings Time taking into effect - it's 6:15pm right now and yet the sky's light and it feels like sunset's hours away - a feeling that screams summer's coming right up and the winter of a few weeks ago is a long forgotten memory.


On Thursday I entered a Twitter contest being held by the City of Vancouver in promotion of the upcoming Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival, and found out a few hours that I had won the prize: a book called Ornamental Cherries in Vancouver.


The book features all the species of ornamental cherry tree in Vancouver - its history, how to recognize it, etc. I picked it up from City Hall on Friday afternoon and as geeky as it is, I'm proud to have it in my ever-growing collection of Vancouver books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, Robyn... my husband wrote it, and I'm not sure I'd call it "geeky"... HE certainly isn't!

Robyn said...

If what I wrote a year ago offended you, my apologies. It was a bad choice in words.

I don't think the book is geeky. What I should have written (and perhaps what I thought I was suggesting) was that my own personal interest in botany and Vancouver cherry blossom locations is (or may be interpreted by some as) geeky. But geeky is cool. It wasn't a knock on the book or your husband. I love the book and love that there's a community of people who are passionate enough to create such a resource.