Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What's the weather like in Vancouver right now?

I know I must seem completely obsessive about weather, but it's a Canadian trait I can't seem to shake. And when you work on the phone with Americans each day and they hear you're from Canada, it's almost always the first thing they ask about. "Oh, wow, Canada! What's the weather like there right now? By the way, I've been to Niagara Falls. What a great country you have there. Clean cities. Friendly people."

But when people discover you're in Vancouver - whether they're American, Canadian, or otherwise - if they know anything about the city at all, all they know is that it always rains in Vancouver.

Evidently, this is not always the case.

But as we move further into the year away from March, the rainfall plummets and we get (surprise, surprise), days, if not weeks of sunshine from May until October. I know "weeks of sunshine" must sound funny for people in sunny climates, but so many people actually believe that "it always rains in Vancouver" when this is not the case at all.

We've been having a hot spell in Vancouver with almost humid-like conditions. We've been having weeks of sunshine that they're starting to implement fire bans in the parks as to prevent forest fires. If this situation continues, we're surely going to be in for an early drought season.

So for those wondering "what's the weather going to be like in Vancouver?" evidently, the day to day weather patterns truly vary, so there's no real way to know. Advanced weather forecasts aren't to be trusted. Best guesses are all that we can offer.

Saying that, a quick Google search for "Vancouver weather" brings you the current temperature with the week's forecast, and it's usually accurate. Of course, a visit to Environment Canada is even better.

But if you really want to know what the weather is *right now* real time, I always like to recommend KatKam.

And for those who truly believe it always rains in Vancouver, from a sweltering, sunny, hot and almost-humid Vancouver, I say "nyah nyah". ;)

2 comments:

kadios said...

I know it must be pretty random that I'm leaving a comment, but upon my Google search of what Vancouver's weather was like, I stumbled upon your blog.
I'd like to live in Vancouver one day, possible when I graduate University. I originally wanted to live in London, England, but I can't stand not having the sun out.
Then a friend of mine told me that Vancouver's weather was the same as London, and hence my Google search.
Thank you for your Vancouver weather post! :)

Robyn said...

Nope, not random at all - that's the beauty of blogs. :)

Vancouver's climate is somewhat the same as London (never too hot, never too cold, gentle variations between easons), but Vancouver typically has rainy grey weather concentrated between the months of November and March as opposed to spread out through the entire year. I don't know if that makes a difference, but there's certainly a rainy *season*.

BTW - we've had essentially non-stop sunshine since the month of May. It's now October 13th.