Monday, January 19, 2009

Fog

This past week, literally for days on end, we've been encased in a perpetual thick fog... very unusual. But it's not just Vancouver, it's the entire Lower Mainland and many parts of the province, such as Kamloops and the Okanagan Valley - we're all hiding beneath this great big carpet of low-lying cloud. You'd think we were trying to emulate San Francisco or something!





I quite like the fog, mind you, so I'm not complaining. It makes everything atmospheric, moody, if not ethereal. And there's a certain quality it adds to the air, making it almost earthy and lush.

I visited my parents and sister out in Steveston last night. As I sat at the kitchen table eating a late dinner, I could hear the fog horns from the boat traffic on the nearby Fraser River, and I realized that it had been at least 5 years since I had last heard fog horns. They're a deep, resonating, and timeless sound. I forgot how much I missed the comfort of listening to distant fog horns at night as I lay in bed falling asleep.

I also quite like my weather widget's terminology when it comes to our foggy days:

2 comments:

Kiyomi/Maribrengaƫl said...

hello from tokyo
i want to get the widget too :)

Zeeshan said...

we have a lot of fog here in Lahore by the end of Decmember. It usually remains till it rains.